Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Lisa Valentine?

42… check

Trip booked but decidedly fearful…. Check

Self absorbed ex…..check

A gaping hole where adventure should be…. Check

That’s it… its official…. there is no doubt.

I am Shirley Valentine. Well ok… Lisa Valentine.

And while I may not be heading for the tranquil seaside vistas of Mykonos, I’m sure that Alaska will more than cover the ‘breathtaking’ component of my escape.

And escape I will have to. More than one of my family members will likely want to nail my fins to the floor. And that post-it note on the picture of an iceberg is sounding pretty appealing right now.

“Gone to Alaska – Back … whenever”

I really shouldn’t have watched that movie tonight. Cos within about 3 minutes I knew that I was going to be watching my own life play out on that screen. And I was right. But just how close to home it hit was still shocking to me.

And in only 41 sleeps I suspect I will be that woman sitting alone somewhere quiet, taking in the breathtaking view and perhaps wondering why dreams have a habit of turning out different from what you dream… no matter how hard you wish for it.

No comments: