Tuesday, May 27, 2008

35 sleeps: Laptops, Travel Docs and eternal flames

So 35 sleeps out and I have the laptop nicely protected with a new ‘coat’ that will then get shoved into my snazzy new ( yet to be purchased) cabin bag.

I also – as luck would have it, turned up with my weekly questions for my long suffering TA only to be presented with the most lovely cruise pack I could ever imagine.

For starters… blue is my favourite colour so seeing this lovely blue fabric wallet with the HAL ship logo embossed elegantly all over was just a treat.

It appealed to the decidedly girly part of me that appreciates things that are just that ‘little bit better’.

Everything HAL thinks I need to know was ensconced in that lovely wallet – which I can’t even get out and read yet because I still haven’t told my kids I’m going.

Everything that is, except the room number. Nothing but a big fat zero where my room allocation should have been so I am decidedly hopeful that the upgrade fairy might just pay me a visit. (Lisa kneeling and whispering ‘ window, window, window’ - I’d whisper ‘verandah, verandah, verandah’ but I’m not quite that unrealistic . Hmmm…. Maybe I should have been whispering ‘suite, suite, suite’ might as well aim high right?)

I also succumbed to the most beautiful pink suede passport cover today as well…. Yeah… I know…. Not really necessary, but it was pink for GS and it had a gorgeous crystals attached in a heart shape on the front …. Tell me how one resists that?

And it had a matching pink suede luggage tag in the kit, so really, it had to come home with me.

Another thing that made today interesting was the Olympic flame arriving in Australia today for its one day stay before moving on to the next leg of its journey. Now while that would always be something I’d be interested in anyway – I’m a huge Olympic junkie ; it totally absorbs me every time – this time was more significant because it had actually been equal number 2 on my list of possible vacations – along with Egypt. I had very seriously considered baking in the Chinese sun watching our athletes kick butt and then hitting HKDL for a few days of a Disney fix. But the Amsterdam, Alaska and Disneyland resort in Aneheim won in the end.

So I consoled myself by watching the Olympic flame relay being broadcast on the TV screens on the treadmill and the bike at the gym, and briefly imagined I was running a 250 metre length of that particular relay. Careful to change apparatus between the add breaks, so as to miss as little as possible. And honestly, I would have stepped off that tread climber long before I did had I not been so thoroughly absorbed.

I love the Olympics and that is still way way high on my life list of must do’s.

Despite the controversy that will likely plague the games in China, its still going to be a spectacle like only the Chinese can supply. Throw in a few Chinese dragons and I’m a happy girl. The fireworks alone will make it must-watch tv.

As will the fireworks right here in Australia when I let the cat out of the bag that I’m heading overseas for the better part of a month. …. I think you might be able to pick it up on Google Earth when they go off… J

Course, I have to wait as long as possible so no-one can sabotage my plans. Or at the very least, make me feel guilty for spending my money on something so ‘frivolous’ AND on myself. My dad, I’m sure though, will be cheering me on from his spot in heaven, and that’s all the encouragement I need.

Carpe Diem – I think I can hear him whispering that in my ear when I let my mind go quiet.

Life is short… and he is well qualified to know that. I refuse to waste a moment more of it.

From now on, there is always going to be a trip in the works.

No comments: